Mason County Michigan


Mason County Register of Deeds

Passport Application Acceptance Hours - Monday thru Friday - 9 am - 3 pm (excluding holidays)

The Mason County Register of Deeds Office is a designated Passport Application Acceptance Facility.  We will process your passport application and forward the application, proof of identity, proof of citizenship, photograph and fees to U.S. Department of State National Passport Services for an issuance determination.

You may check the status of your pending passport application by contacting the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, or online at the U.S. Department of State

Requirements to apply for a NEW passport:

Proof of Citizenship:
Certified Birth Certificate
Previously Issued Passport
Original Naturalization Certificate

Minors under 16 years of age must be accompanied by both parents listed on the child's birth certificate.  Both parents must present a valid driver's license or state issued identification card at the time of application.  If only one parent is available, Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent:  Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, must be completed by the absent parent giving permission for the child's passport and submitted at the time of application.

Minors age 16-17 years at the time of applying must appear in person and sign his/her own passport application.  A minor age 16-17 years must submit his/her own identification.  Routinely, minors aged 16 or 17 are not required to submit parental consent, but the Passport Agency may request a notarized letter of consent if parental awareness is not indicated on the application.

All persons 16 years of age or older that have a valid driver's license or state issued identifications card must present his/her identification at the time of application.

One original photograph is required.
Photographs must meet National Passport Services requirements (See passport application).
Photographs must have a white/off-white background only.
Photographs must be taken within 6 months of application.

Click here for the most recent fee schedule.  Fees to the Department of State must be check (no starter checks accepted), money order or cashiers check.  Fees due to the acceptance facility may be paid with cash, check, money order or credit card (additional convenience fee applies for credit card per county policy).

Requirements for Passport Renewal:
To use form DS-82, U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals, all the following must apply:

You can submit your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card with the application; and
You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card was issued; and
You were issued your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card less than 15 years ago; and
Your most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card for which you are renewing has not been lost, stolen, mutilated or damaged; and
You use the same name as on your recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card;
You have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect your name change.


Deactivating a Deceased Family Member’s Passport

The Department of State recommends that a family member or executor of a deceased passport bearer return the passport for cancelation. The passport will be returned to you after it is canceled. Please submit the valid passport, a certified copy of the death certificate, and a letter requesting the cancelation and return (or destruction) of the passport to:

U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227



Updated July 12, 2022