Mason County Michigan

Military Discharges




Following discharge from the Service, veterans may place a copy of their discharge (Form DD-214) on file with the County Clerk. A certified copy is available free of charge to the veteran.

Pursuant to MCL 35.32, a military service discharge record is confidential and may be viewed or copied only by the veteran, a person with the veteran's permission, the surviving heirs of the veteran, a veterans' service officer, the Michigan veterans trust fund, or a person employed by the county department of veterans' affairs who provides counseling for veterans, if access to that record is necessary to aid the veteran, or the surviving spouse or a dependent of the veteran in applying for benefits available to the veteran.


State Department of Veterans Affairs web site:

National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) web site: