Mason County Michigan


1.  All permits must be mailed or dropped off to 102 E. 5th St., Scottville, MI  49454.  An original signature is required. Faxes or .pdfs are not accepted.
2.  After hours drop off available: place permit application and check in the building department after-hours drop box at 102 E. 5th Street, Scottville.
3.  Checks or money orders can be made payable to "Mason County".  
4.  Building permits may be obtained through the mail for an additional administrative fee of $25.  We prefer to see you face-to-face when completing a building permit because it just seems to work out better.  If you live out of town or can't get here during business hours, the mail will work too but remember to add $25 to the Building permit fee.  There is NO $25 mail in fee for Electrical, Mechanical, or Plumbing permits.
5.  Once the permit application is received and processed a permit will be mailed to you.

Electrical Permit Application
Mechanical Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application
Building Permit Application
Residential Deck Plan
Garage Plan
Pole Building Plan (No Lean-Tos)
Pole Building Plan (1 Lean-To)
Pole Building Plan (2 Lean-Tos)
House Plan
Covered Porch Plan
2. A HAND DRAWN FLOOR PLAN is required when applying for a building permit for a dwelling or an accessory building (excluding a deck)-- include a seperate drawing for each story and the basement.  Accessory buildings should show locations for overhead doors, windows, mandoors, separate workshop rooms, stairs, landings, attic storage, bathrooms, etc.  Professionally drawn plans are always welcome. 
Dwelling Floor Plan
Garage/Pole Building Floor Plan
An Agricultural Exemption request may be made on buildings used exclusively for agricultural purposes. These agricultural uses include the storage of agricultural products, animals, feed for animals, and agricltural equipment, MCL 125.1510 (8). The Building must be located on land which is being used for agricultural purposes, MCL 125.1508a (1)(a). No residential storage is allowed in the structure (lawn tractors, cars, RVs, recreational equipment, etc). With Reasonable cause, the building official is authorized to inspect and verify the usage of the structure. If it is found that the building is not being used exclusively for agricultural purposes, additional permits may be required and/or the building may need to be reconstructed, remodeled, or removed. 
A Zoning Permit is still required for an agricultural building.