MASON COUNTY PROSECUTING ATTORNEY
Mason County Courthouse
304 E. Ludington Ave.
Ludington, MI 49431
Paul R. Spaniola
Phone: (231) 845-7377
Fax: (231) 845-8125
8am - 5pm M-F
The Prosecuting Attorney is an elected official with a four-year term of office, as provided by the Michigan constitution. Elections occur at the time of the Presidential election, on the partisan ballot. The Prosecuting Attorney is independent of the Michigan Attorney General. The Prosecuting Attorney’s office is responsible for over 250 statutory responsibilities in our county, some of which include:
- chief law enforcement official in the County.
- reviews, authorizes and prosecutes violations of felony and misdemeanor criminal laws of the State of Michigan (and County ordinances) committed inside the County.
- authorizes and prosecutes felony & misdemeanor juvenile delinquency offenses.
- represents the County in criminal matters before the District & Circuit Courts; juvenile delinquency, parental neglect and miscellaneous probate matters in the Circuit Court/Family Division and the Probate Court, and appeals in the Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- advises the Department of Health and Human Services on child abuse and neglect petitions, and actions to terminate parental rights.
- attends contested mental health commitment hearings.
- represents and advises the County Board of Commissioners and other County departments on legal matters.
- files and prosecutes actions to establish paternity.
- files actions to establish a family support order.
John D. Middlebrook
|Mary J. Patterson
|Deanna M. Warmuskerken
|Janet D. Merriman